Fix Me

When I was cold,
You gave me your coat,
And a hat that the rain could never soak.

When I was lonely,
You gave me your hand and seat,
Said "Pull the lever!"
So I could put up my feet.

When I needed a friend,
You gave me your dog,
Your special places to walk,
Your places to play and to talk.

When I had my doubts,
You gave me your confidence,
You gave me your smile,
Enough to set me at ease for a while.

When I would start to cry,
You gave me your embrace,
Swallowed me with each arm,
Creating a place where the world could do me no harm.

When you said you were leaving,
You gave us parts of you,
Trinkets, words, and stories too.

I'll take those parts of you with me,
To all the places I go,
To mountains high and valleys below.

I'll take you to the people I meet.
I'll give them my coat and hat,
I'll give them my hand and my seat,
And tell them to put up their feet!

I'll give them your embrace,
I'll give them your confidence,
I'll give them your smile,
I'll keep you with me for a long, long while.

I may need fixing later,
But I know it's going to be okay,
Because I'll remember that your love is here,
And that it will always stay.







Comments

Popular Posts